Key messages from our social media conference
Created on Thursday, 09 July 2015 11:33
Judging by initial feedback, our first social media conference, attended by key decision-makers from the wealth management industry, was a huge success so I wanted to share some of the key messages which the attendees heard from the guest speakers:
I started the day by re-iterating some of the key benefits of social media for the wealth management industry. To read our free guide which explains some of these in more detail, please click here.
Magnus Wheatley, head of Digital at Charles Stanley & Co, provided a real-life case study on the effective use of social media by a 'traditional' stock broking firm and how this has both enhanced the client experience and driven business activity.
We also covered some of the FCA's social media guidance and how this affects a firm's social media activity. Most of the guidance applies to financial promotions but if you're using LinkedIn to 'sell', then you're doing it wrong anyway! We also spent some time looking at tools such as Hootsuite which help address some of the FCA's guidance around sign-off and record-keeping.
One of the best received presentations was from Annie Catchpole of the Scorpio Partnership, who conduct research on, amongst many other subjects, the use of social media by HNW individuals. Some compelling stats:
- 79% of HNW's are on Facebook; 52% are on Twitter; 46% are on LinkedIn
- Individuals worth USD 1-10m have an average of 266 LinkedIn connections; those worth USD 10m+ have an average of 320 connections
- HNW individuals use social media the most between 8pm and midnight - wealth managers should adjust their social media content strategy accordingly
I spent the remainder of the day running a LinkedIn Masterclass for the attendees, showing them how to use LinkedIn as a powerful lead generation and business development tool. My top 3 tips:
- Your LinkedIn profile is not an online CV! Tell the reader who you're looking to build relationships with and how you can help them
- Use the free advanced search features to find key decision-makers in your target market
- Post content to LinkedIn on a regular basis to establish credibility and enhance your professional profile
I plan to run further conferences in the Autumn so please drop me a line if you are interested in attending.